At 10:06 PM 1/29/04 -0500, Raymond Horton wrote:
>I have never owned a laser printer before, so I have no experience with
>replacing toner cartridges.  How soon should I be concerned about not being
>able to get these?  I wonder how long "a while" is?  If I bought a
>few/several toner cartidges for stock, how long would they store
>succesfully?  Has anyone had any luck refilling these?

Don't refill unless you're desperate. The rest of the cartridge parts
(especially the electrostatic roller/band) wear out.

Technology ages so quickly, so "a while" can be a staggeringly short time.
I have a reliable, 4-year-old Xerox P12 for daily work, and have gone
through four cartridges (about 20,000 copies). Now it's very hard to find
them -- some remanufactured ones are available, but at full retail prices.
But I was in luck, discovering that another manufacturer had sold the same
machine. I loaded up on six cartridges --$130-plus new -- for $20 each, a
closeout at Staples a few months ago. That should last the life of the
printer.

The cartridges are normally hermetically sealed and should have a very long
shelf life. Get 'em while you can!

Dennis