Laser cartridges last for a very long time, so you could purchase one or two or three and not worry about them being bad when you finally need to install them.

The cartridge availability may not be a problem -- the replacement printer from Ricoh may well use the same cartridge.

Quite often the normal economics of the marketplace force prices on existing models to fall to a point where it is no longer profitable for a manufacturer to make and distribute them. In that case they take that model off the market and offer a replacement model at a price where there is a lot of profit again. And then that model's price drops and the cycle begins again.

But it often isn't because of poor quality or anything so they may well keep the same basic printer engine design and change paper handling or appearance or something, so my advice (before panicing about availability of cartridges) is to find which toner cartridge the replacement printer uses and if it will be interchangeable with yours.

I've never tried refilling my own laser cartridges, but my wife did buy one of the refills from a national refill company and it wasn't very good. Not nearly as good quality toner and not as well working a cartridge, so she went back to purchasing original cartridges.

Her printer would be 10 years old, but there are still cartridges available for it. She did replace it because of other problems developing with it, but if it had kept on working she would still be able to get cartridges for it.

So I wouldn't panic yet about replacement cartridges.

David H. Bailey

Raymond Horton wrote:
As I mentioned a few weeks back, I just bought one a few weeks ago and am
very happy with it. But what do I do now that it is discontinued?

I have never owned a laser printer before, so I have no experience with
replacing toner cartridges.  How soon should I be concerned about not being
able to get these?  I wonder how long "a while" is?  If I bought a
few/several toner cartidges for stock, how long would they store
succesfully?  Has anyone had any luck refilling these?  I use a very low
volume, compared to, well, just about anybody, really.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ray Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra

Nick Carter said:

I've been trying to sign up as a reseller of the AP2610
but I just spoke with Ricoh and it is officially discontinued.
Apparently the toner cartridges will be available for a while.
I could pursue adding those to our range but I just heard that
our wholesaler wants a $100 deposit to re-open our account
which is only refundable if we spend $5,000 in the first 90 days!!
...25 toner cartridges anyone?!
Nearest replacement for the 2610 seems to be the AP600N which
is around $1K.

Nick

Dr Nick Carter,
Owner, npc Imaging, 2228 Magowan Drive, Santa Rosa, CA 95405 USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Tel/fax: +1 (707) 573 9361
http://www.npcimaging.com

.

-- David H. Bailey [EMAIL PROTECTED]