There's endless 'old music' in 6/2, just that the signature itself does not exist. 2 groups of 3 subgroups of minims is perfectly normal. It's simply not hard to read, but people have a hangup about it and assume it's hard to read without even trying.

Renotating the music into different durations purely to make the job easier for the engraver is a cop-out. Worse still is to have reduced durations for some sections and original for others. With or without extra indications for what has happened, that misrepresents the composer's behaviour.