Erm. I don't mean to be insulting or facetious, but have you actually *looked* at the
horn staves of any 19th century scores? Everything I've stated on this subject is
based neither on books nor assumptions. It is based on studying (esp.) 19th cent.
scores.

If you go back to when natural horns were played in pairs, it was essentially
universal practice to place one pair (i.e, 1&2) on the top staff and 3&4 on the bottom
staff. It is only in the waning years of the 19th cent. you begin to see any deviation
at all from this. These deviations were almost always specific to a particular passage
and lasted only a few pages.

I don't ask you to accept my word for it. I ask you to look for yourself.