First of all, in this discussion I'm speaking only of how the parts are presented on
the page. The topic of who plays higher than whom is huge and complicated and an
entirely separate issue. The short of it is, no rigid standard should be applied to
the horns or any other section of the orchestra, unless you want 70% of the players on
the stage sitting around bored out of their skulls.

If physics were involved, then this mess would extend to the trumpets, the flutes, the
clarinets, etc., etc. I think the confusion in the case of the horn section has been
largely caused by over-reliance on orchestration books and classes and under-reliance
on studying the scores of the proven masters of orchestration.

Tim Cates: