On 27 Feb 2004, at 05:26 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

[Of Sibelius for Windows]

The display does have smoothing, and even at highest quality, the display
shows no lag at any magnification. It is a faster display than most
graphics-heavy programs.

Interesting. Could you do me a favor? Could set the "Smoothing" control all the way to the left (i.e., turn off smoothing entirely) and see what happens?

On Mac OS X, turning off Sib's smoothing actually makes the display *much, much* slower. My theory is that turning off smoothing turns off the OpenGL acceleration, and Sibelius reverts to regular (i.e., very, very slow) 2D drawing. I'm curious if the same thing happens on the PC side. I'm also curious to know whether Sibelius Windows uses Direct3D or OpenGL.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can actually enter a short score
with it.

Well, I hope I haven't opened a can of worms here! Obviously, you should use whatever software best suits your needs, and maybe Sibelius is the thing for you. (They have a competitive upgrade from Finale.) But my goal definitely *wasn't* to encourage you or anyone else to jump ship -- at least, not yet.

Frankly, I was hoping that more people would go try the Sibelius 3.x demo (especially OS X users), see for themselves how bloody fast it is (especially compared to Fin2004 Mac), and then deluge Coda with emails telling them that matching Sibelius's speed should be their #1 priority for Fin2005. Personally, I don't care if the rest of the feature set remains absolutely identical. I will gladly pay my $90 even if the *only* thing Coda does between now and the release date is match (or exceed) Sibelius's redraw speed.

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY