Hi all,

I'm having some problems getting Finale to beam things the way I want -- specifically, getting secondary beams right.

http://files.aaron.sherber.com/beam1.gif shows a measure with Extend secondary beams over rests on, and http://files.aaron.sherber.com/beam2.gif shows the same measure with that setting off.

The second example is clearly unacceptable, because the beams on the first 32nd note point the wrong way, obscuring the fact that it goes rhythmically with the preceding rest and 16th note. But I really don't like the global style of the first example; the extended beam stubs look way too long.

What I really want is for *complete* secondary beams to extend over rests, but not beam stubs. In other words, I want something like example 1, but with the 32nd beam stub shortened so as not to extend over the rest. To my eyes, this is what I'm used to seeing in scores.

The best I can do seems to be http://files.aaron.sherber.com/beam3.gif but that double stub on the 32nd doesn't look right. Still, it's more legible than beam2, and it doesn't look as ugly to me as beam1.

I may be missing something obvious, but I can't find a document setting to get Finale to do what I want, and I also can't find a tool that will let me adjust the length of secondary beams within a measure.

Am I missing something? Is this a candidate for a plugin?

Thanks,
Aaron.