On 05 Mar 2004, at 07:00 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

[And, of course, "cellos" and "concertos," etc.]

I typically use the more anglicized plurals for words like this -- including "librettos", where I am very much in the minority among my opera-community colleagues -- but I think it goes too far to call the fancier plurals incorrect.

Just to try to head this one off at the pass... I was unclear. I didn't mean to say that "celli" and "concerti" were incorrect as such, just that they are subject to the same trend towards regularization as other foreign loan-words in English, and that the irregular's days are surely numbered. Already, as you note, "celli" and "concerti" sound fussy and pretentious. Fifty years from now, they will likely sound as bizarre as "stadia" or "aquaria."

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY