I chime in with the others. This is the first I've heard of such a notion;
it sounds like watercooler stuff. I recall an excellent choral conductor who
periodically would ask the group to sing for him their different dynamics,
i.e., "Let me hear your mf....Let me hear your p...." etc. The point was to
drive home to them that they should have some point of reference within
themselves as a group as to what that dynamic will sound like when they sing
it. He definitely respected the differences.

The use of mp and mf also is a way to express gradual decreases/increases in
volume. Their usefullness over cresc. or hairpins is that they can be
surgically inserted. Also, they are a constant (i.e., p for two measures, mp
for two measures, mf for two...etc.), whereas cresc. or hairpins would be
continual.

--Richard