> It is, however, a challenge-response registration code, and I imagine
 Coda would not give out more than two keys per registration without a
 very good reason, so there isn't much chance someone is going to be
 able to activate it.

What if cracking a time-disabled version is much easier than the real demo? What if MakeMusic simply doesn't want any save ability in demo versions, be it time limited or not?

If you really want to give this version away, why don't you just write an
email to MakeMusic and ask them. I guarantee you that they will not allow
it. And I still say that it is illegal to do so. Finale is not Shareware.

If I wanted to give it away, I simply would have done it and not said a thing on this list. The fact that I have asked the question should show that I am concerned to do the right thing and was having my own qualms about the action.

I have no problem with not doing it at all, but that doesn't stop me from continuing a discussion on the difference between a demo that is potential a full copy (which incidentally many pieces of software are, including all the games by Pangea and much shareware, even pricey ones) and a demo that actually has been made separately with missing code.

Emagic's Logic allows you to install the full version anywhere, but will only run when the USB dongle is present. Before Logic Pro 6 was announced (which now includes all plugins), Emagic even included full time-limited copies of all their commercial plugins in the standard install. After the time limit ran out they simply did not work any more unless you authorized them, yet the full code remained there ready to go at any time.

What you are suggesting is actually one of the reasons I question this kind
of copy protection in the first place, it will actually make people think
that giving away time limited versions it an alright thing to do. It's not.
It's illegal.

Is there a Finale 2004 macintosh demo available? Otherwise, without a Finale free for OSX, a time-out full Finale is the only thing left that would run (not that I am saying it is right to use it that way).

Regards,

--

Rocky Road - in Oz

"Fleeing from the Cylon tyranny, the last Battlestar, Galactica, leads a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest, for a shining planet known as Earth."