On 15 Mar 2004 at 12:56, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

> On Monday, March 15, 2004, at 12:22  PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:
>
> > At 03:17 PM 3/15/2004, Darcy James Argue wrote:
> > >Not entirely -- I'd just like to see new windows stacked when the
> > first
> > >window is maximized.
> >
> > And this is exactly how WinFin works (as well as other Windows
> > apps), so it's something that Coda is familiar with.
>
> Only if the window is maximized (which they all are by default).  If
> you "restore" a document window (the button in between "close" and
> "maximize"), they're cascaded.
>
> Finale for Windows reeks of the *really old* MS Word MDI (Multiple
> Document Interface).  Tabs would be so much better, especially as
> they've caught on so well for web browsers.

The "new" Word SDI (single document interface) was one of the biggest
steps backward in usability that there ever was. To fix the problems
inherent in it, Microsoft had to change the OS, which in WinXP can
group windows by parent application. This is one of those clever
fixes to a problem that never should have existed in the first place
-- the SDI introduced in Office 2K was simply a bloody stupid
application of "MAKE IT LIKE A WEB BROWSER." As the proliferation of
browsers with tabbed interfaces (as well as add-ins to give
Microsoft's Internet Explorer the same functionality), it is obvious
to everyone now (as it should have been from the very beginning of
the introduction of SDI in web browsers) that the SDI is just not a
very manageable way of presenting child windows of a single
application.

The Microsoft MDI has its problems, but they are minor compared to
the usability problems for users caused by a proliferation of
windows.

Tabs would have been a perfect way to make multiple windows in an MDI
application more easily navigable, and Opera was the first to do
this. Mozilla's tabbed interface is far easier, though, as it demotes
the controls for the child windows to a less confusing location
(rather than immediately below the parent window, the close X is next
to the row of tabs, and there's no capability for sizing child
windows separately, or for running at any size other than the size of
the parent window; for a browser, this is no loss at all, but it
would be for other applications).