I can't speak to version 4 stuff, but it works pretty well for me in 2k2.
When you say "even when I drag them" do you mean the articulations or the
notes? Are you entering the articulations when the notes are in their
original staff (before using cross staff)?

In case it helps if working on the articulations, there's a little-used (I
suspect) option you can invoke that causes all the cross staff notes to
display in their original staff. Go Options > Document Settings > Document
Options and check Display Cross Staff Notes in Original Staff, then OK.

--Richard