At 06:52 PM 3/18/2004, David W. Fenton wrote:
>Hmm. The values I see when I check my current file are:
>
>  1024
>  0.29167
>  1.6179
>
>Having 84 for the second value is very problematic, and obviously
>doesn't work.

You've got inches selected as your default measurement. Many of us who play with these measurements find EVPUs more useful. .29", as you have above, is 84 EVPU.

1.6179 is the so-called "Fibonacci" spacing that Finale uses now as a default.

>I don't get what any of this means, as what I see in the user
>interface does not at all line up with what you describe or what the
>documentation says should be there.

As Johannes indicated, the value in Scaling Factor is a number between 1 and 2. A value of 1 gives the same amount of space to each note, regardless of duration. A value of 2 gives exact proportionality -- a half note gets exactly twice as much space as a quarter note.

What you are indicating with Reference Duration and Reference Width is a starting point for Finale to calculate widths for all other note durations from using Scaling Factor.

Spacing libraries do the same sort of thing, but they let (or make) you specify exact widths for each type of note. The new method lets you specify one exact width and automatically makes all others proportional according to the formula you give it. Much easier to keep track of.

Aaron.