(I think) because the file was given no extension (the ".mus" part), Windows
didn't know what to do with it and just called it a generic data file
(.dat).  It may be possible to go to File > Open in Finale, choose "All
files (*.*)" in the drop-down, and open the .dat file; but this has never
worked for me when going from Mac to Windows.

Giving it a filename that means something to Windows, or encasing it in an
archive where all file attributes remain intact, allows the receiving PC to
utilize it more effectively.  Emailing does weird things to files if they're
not labeled or packaged correctly.

Another thing to try (since it's an older version of Finale) is to have him
save it as an Enigma Transportable File (.etf).  These are less likely to
lose info in transit, but are much larger.  It wasn't until at least Fin2k2
that you could be reasonably sure a .mus attachment would go through email
(cross-platform or not) without messing anything up.

--
Brad Beyenhof
[EMAIL PROTECTED]