Or James can simply rename the file with .mus, and then he should be able to open it with no problem whatsoever in Fin2004b. BUT, if he makes any edits, his son won't be able to open the file James sends back. So perhaps if James still has 2000 installed, that would be what he should use since he could make edits and send the file back and his son could open that file on his Mac.

David H. Bailey