On Mar 27, 2004, at 5:38 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

An example where this makes sense is not common, but not inconceivable either. Imagine that [...]

Reviewing this, I see I'm overthinking it. A more common situation is this: In the RH piano, the upstem voice is following the melody but with chords built around an octave on the melody note. At some point there is an inner voice that moves while the melody holds. If that's a dotted half on the downbeat, then you're going to want the downstem quarter note to the right, so that it doesn't break up the inner line. The dot has to be between the two stems.

mdl