Over the past few years diskettes seem to have been getting cheaper in price and quality. Besides the market has been flooded with low priced designer color diskettes which fail after a few uses, especially if carried around in hip pockets as I sometimes see people doing these days (bad storage is, as you suggest, a problem). A lot of computer users, especially newbies, don't seem to take care of equipment as well as they did a few years ago when it was more expensive and didn't go obsolete as quickly. Some FD Drives also seem to be more cheaply made than they used to be. None of these things are universal, but they all contribute to a general impression of floppies being less reliable than they once were.

Since you have good luck with diskettes, I guess you probably use better quality diskettes, take good care of them, and store them properly.

On the other hand a failure rate of 50% on Zip disks is indication that something is not right. I've rarely seen Zips go bad, and when I have seen it happen it usually seems to be the fault of a bad drive.

-Carl Donsbach