I'm wondering if there are any trombone players/experts out here.  My
question is, how would a trombonist generally interpret a grace note with a
slur onto another note about a 2nd lower (in a 20th century score)?:

a. Would they soft-tongue the second note?

I certainly would, in a non-jazz context.

b.  Would they just tongue the first note as with any other brass or wind
player?

No, trombonists mostly have learned to soft-tongue to sound like a slur. There are other techniques (like cross-grain lip slurs) to imitate slurring, but most players simply soft-tongue.

If this is the case, would it generally sound like a very quick and
short glissando, or is there enough control even at grace note speed to make
it sound like two distinct notes?

It's all about the sound. They will try to make it sound like it should, regardless of how they choose to execute it. Usually trombonists will only resort to the gliss when it is specifically asked for.

c.  Is it just not usual or practical for grace notes to be found in 20th
cent. trombone parts?

I see 'em all the time. Half-steps are more common, and certainly easier to execute, than whole steps, but go for it anyway!

Christopher