At 2:52 PM -0400 6/05/04, David W. Fenton wrote:

But, of course, I thought we were discussing examples of subcomponents of Finale that were majorly overhauled and then never worked right any more. When has the Lyrics subsystem been overhauled and exactly what ended up badly broken?

Auto word extensions slow down the Mac version of 2004 something awful. Taking lyrics into account for music spacing (this has been part of Finale for a long time, I admit) sometimes gives really odd results, like if you have a long syllable like "through" on an eighth note it makes the whole measure take up way too much room. The structuring of the Lyric tool is still pretty bad, even after the changes (I think it was about 2002 or 2003, wasn't it?). You can "lose" the syllable after a hyphen, causing endless hyphens for the rest of the piece. Click Into Score often causes repeated syllables when you use it all the way to the last measure of a piece. Avoiding Type Into Score keeps you from the bulk of the structure problems, but why doesn't it work predictably yet?

As for some other tools that got overhauled, Engraver Slurs sometimes gave wild arcs (though I admit they tackled this one and almost tamed it.) Avoiding seconds in different layers (when there was more than one note in each layer, and especially if they had accidentals) was broken for several versions, and I didn't check to see if it was fixed in 2004. The Micnotator thingie is another example, though someone posted here a few days ago claiming it worked great for him. Chromatic Transposition (for transposing instruments without key signatures) was an excellent and badly-needed innovation, but it didn't treat accidentals properly for a couple of versions, and STILL doesn't transpose chord symbols correctly. Human Playback (though I never use it) has some issues. Staff Styles has some outstanding issues still (weren't you the one complaining about spacing of hidden layers?)

In Speedy Entry, there is no Cancel option when you get the message "There are too many beats in this measure..." I generally use the "move to next measure" option to create ties over barlines (I know I don't have to do this any more, but I'm used to it) and Finale doesn't realise I still am holding the MIDI key down when I hit the next note value, so I get a rest instead of a note if I wanted a repeated pitch. This was a fresh problem with teh Speedy overhaul. Finale also doesn't lay out the previous measure correctly when I "move to next measure".

Anyway, I manage to work around most of the problems (in the case of the slowness of 2004, I work around it by never using it.) I hate to come off negatively, but once I learn to be fast on something, I hate for it to go away, and this has happened with depressing regularity so far.

Christopher