At 03:47 PM 06/04/2004, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>I'm still not getting it. If the layout has to change, then why not
>re-extract the part?

This is probably one of those things that comes down to each person's working habits, but since you asked....

When I extract parts, even with Page Layout for Parts set just the way I want it, there's quite a bit of manual tweaking I do. For example, I like to have the instrument name in the page header. I also check page breaks, indent the beginnings of new movements, verify that text expressions are in the right place, etc. If I go back to a finished piece and make some changes, most often I'm just fixing wrong notes; this usually doesn't take any layout adjustment in the parts, so having the change automatically propagate from score to parts is great. Even if I have to add a few measures, or change something that does require part layout adjustment, I would bet that re-extracting the part isn't worth it, because I would have to go back and do all the large-scale fixes again -- the "fixed costs" of part extraction.

My current process is to make the change in the score, then make the same change in the part, and then tweak the part if needed. Linkage between score and parts would make teh second step unnecessary -- I would never have to worry that my parts have fallen out of sync with my score.

>And how does Finale decide when to clear
>your layout changes, and when to keep them?

Personally, I think the linkage should be such that Finale never alters the layout of an already-extracted part -- it just makes the changes and leaves the layout up to me. In other words, the linkage is sort of between the Scroll Views of score and parts, not Page View.

>This will not work if you have changed keys, time signature, number
>of measures, page-attached text blocks, or staff-attached
>expressions. But then, aren't these the things that you don't want
>linked?

Of the things you mentioned, I think only page-attached blocks wouldn't be linked.

>>Someone mentioned that SCORE did this. Maybe they can explain how it
>>works with that program and if it is a useful feature or not.
>
>I'd like to hear about that too.

And Igor, I think.

Aaron.