On 7 Jun 2004 at 12:03, Fisher, Allen wrote:

> >>DON'T USE TYPE INTO SCORE<<
>
> Why? In your entire rant about not using type into score, I didn't see
> a clear reason why.

Rant?

The reason not to use type in score is that it creates a text stream
that doesn't really match the real text being set *unless* you have
very carefully ordered your typing in a way that will create a
comprehensible text in the actual data store.

With click assignment, you always know what the relationship is
between the two. You can have a human readable ordered version of the
text in Edit Lyrics and assign as needed with click assignment.

Yes, there are problems with the UI, and, oddly enough, they are
really minor problems that ought to be very easily correctable (and
should have been corrected 5 or more years ago) -- making the Edit
Lyrics dialog resizable and having a ZOOM setting for one, and
secondly, making the click assignment dialog resizable (or, at the
very least, having a much more sensible default size -- as it is, the
size would be small on 640x489!).

Type into score *ought* to be easier, but in the end, I found that
it's much, much easier to type in the text once, click assign it, and
add variants to the lyrics as needed.

I have also found it very useful because correcting spelling errors
or adjusting syllable breaks (not adding syllable breaks -- changing
from syll-a-lle to syl-la-ble) is much easier with a single text
stream used in multiple locations than it is with multiple instances
typed into the score.

However, Hal did say that with homophonic music, typing into one part
then cloning to the others is very easy. I'll have to remember that,
though I'll click assign the first part, and then clone the lyrics
for the other parts.