Brad Beyenhof  wrote:

> I have seen a lot of what you describe, but it doesn't keep me from
> working with Finale 2004.  It's great, especially for the new
> Expression placement system.  However, the one thing of yours I quoted
> did seem to have a fix (for me).  For some reason, the lack of
> beat-chart handles only occurred when I had a plug-in window currently
> open.  When all plug-ins were closed it worked fine.  Clumsy
> workaround, I know...

Thanks for this tip, Brad!

Re. the Expression placement, I agree that it's going to be really good, but
on the other hand, and I've tried this on 2 OS X computers now, if it
prevents me from effectively dragging expressions horizontally, then it's 6
of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

Then again, perhaps it's meant to stop newbies dragging expressions around
the score and then wondering why they're not in the correct place in the
parts.

> Also, I notice the autosave thing only when I'm working with a file I
> have not yet saved (and it is currently "untitled").  If it has been
> saved previously in 2k4 I don't notice problems at all.

Yes, that would be it.  Dammit.

Darcy James Argue wrote:

> Yes.  Turn off the message bar -- that helps a *lot*.

I've been having problems with the message bar turning itself on and off all
the time.  To turn it off it's necessary to do the menu item twice, and then
ignore the presented menu status.  The first time it's turned off, the text
of the message bar disappears, but the coloured bar remains.  Then turning
it off again gets rid of it, until an indeterminate event when it will turn
itself back on again. Sigh.

> I haven't noticed any changes in the Cautionary Accidentals PI from
> when it started as Cautionary Accidentals TG.  It's still buggy in many
> areas, though I haven't generally had problems with "No Cautionaries on
> Repeated Notes."   Do you have "Auto-Freeze Accidentals" turned on?

Yep.

> > - Double-clicking on the title bar of plugin windows in TGTools caused
> > Force-Quit, as did mistakenly double-clicking on a Finale plugin from
> > the
> > Finder.
>
> Not for me -- double-clicking the title bar to minimize the window
> works fine.  Do you have some third-party windowshade utility
> installed?

No I don't, but I was referring mainly to the TGTools windows.  I'm still
getting around the new window focus rules in 2004 with plugins.  For some
reason they often keep taking the focus from the main window (very
annoying).  I can't get the TGTools ones to autowindowshade like with OS9.

> I think Philip is working on OS X versions of his plugins.  Jari
> announced he was releasing the source code to his MacFin plugins in the
> hopes that someone else would update them for OS X.  I don't know if
> anyone's taken him up on that offer yet -- I sure hope somebody does.
> It was great that Jari made them available for free for so long, but if
> someone else wants to update them and start charging for them, I'll
> gladly pay.  That's far better than not having them available at all.

Agreed!

> Well, if you ever have more than one Finale document open at once, text
> blocks from the active document will start bleeding into the inactive
> documents, replacing other text blocks, expressions, staff names -- you
> name it, it will be overwritten.  Also, the changes won't show up just
> by bringing an inactive document to the front -- you have to redraw the
> screen to see what a mess Finale's made of your doucment.  It should
> take you less than an hour of making changes to text blocks with
> multiple simultaneous documents open to witness this problem for
> yourself.

Just to let you know, I've had this problem also for a few years now, and so
have been watching your correspondence with Makemusic with great interest.

I've had particular problems with Text Blocks bleeding into Staff Names,
mostly.

> I still haven't looked at Finalescript at all.  It all seems kind of
> arcane and confusing.  What are people using FinaleScript for?

I know it looks arcane, and that's partly because much of it is so simple
that one can't believe that's all there is to it!  The documentation is a
bit non-friendly, but the scripting process is quite the opposite.

For example, I created a simple script to swap fonts.  The script was just:

swap font [Opus] with [OpusMacEncoded4]

and that's all there was to it.  Another script I created to lock all
systems and add space before the key signature.  It was just:

Select all
Lock systems
Space before key signature 0.5 space

Worked like a treat.  I've had trouble with the swapping fonts business
under Quickeys before, so this was really handy.

There are more arcane things that I don't yet fully understand, but I think
that Finalescript shows great potential as a bridge between 'normal' users
and full-on plugin writing.

Matthew