On 09 Jun 2004, at 07:17 PM, Matthew Hindson Fastmail Account wrote:

Yes. Turn off the message bar -- that helps a *lot*.

I've been having problems with the message bar turning itself on and off all
the time. To turn it off it's necessary to do the menu item twice, and then
ignore the presented menu status. The first time it's turned off, the text
of the message bar disappears, but the coloured bar remains. Then turning
it off again gets rid of it, until an indeterminate event when it will turn
itself back on again. Sigh.

I should have been more clear, because this *is* confusing. Turning off the Message Bar in the Program Options doesn't work. You have to leave it on there. But, once your document is open, select "Hide Message Bar" from the View menu. You will have to do this with every new window, so a QuicKey or iKey is invaluable here. The blue progress bar will *always* show up, but that's not a problem. It's only a problem when the Message Bar is actually showing, because for some reason it takes more processing power for Finale to update the "Processing Measure X Layer Y" message in the message bar than it does to actually process the plugin. That display is what slows things down -- if you follow the steps I outlined above, you can get it to go away, and Mass Edit and plugin operations will be much speedier. Another good idea is to switch to a different application after applying a time-consuming plugin. Counterintuitively, often this speeds the processing of the plugin. (Don't ask me why, but I've timed this, and it's reliable -- provided you're not also doing all kinds of heavy lifting in the application you switch to.)

Not for me -- double-clicking the title bar to minimize the window
works fine.  Do you have some third-party windowshade utility
installed?

No I don't, but I was referring mainly to the TGTools windows.

Yeah, so was I. Double clicking the title bar on TGTools windows minimizes them just fine on my system.

For some
reason they often keep taking the focus from the main window (very
annoying).

I don't think this is a plugin problem. There is yet another bug in FinMac2004 where sometimes the active Finale window refuses to keep the focus. This becomes a problem if you want to, for instance, type a page number to go to.

I can't get the TGTools ones to autowindowshade like with OS9.

I don't think that's supported in OS X -- because, for starters, there *is* no windowshade in OS X, and having the plugin windows auto-minimize to Dock would be weird and -- at least for me -- highly undesirable.

Well, if you ever have more than one Finale document open at once, text
blocks from the active document will start bleeding into the inactive
documents, replacing other text blocks, expressions, staff names -- you
name it, it will be overwritten. Also, the changes won't show up just
by bringing an inactive document to the front -- you have to redraw the
screen to see what a mess Finale's made of your doucment. It should
take you less than an hour of making changes to text blocks with
multiple simultaneous documents open to witness this problem for
yourself.

Just to let you know, I've had this problem also for a few years now, and so
have been watching your correspondence with Makemusic with great interest.

I've had particular problems with Text Blocks bleeding into Staff Names,
mostly.

Matthew (and anyone else having this problem), please, I'm begging you, please, if you haven't already done so, email [EMAIL PROTECTED] with a "Me Too!" I can't tell you how much it helps to have others willing to confirm that this isn't some isolated bug that is only affecting me personally. If we don't *all* complain about it, it will never get fixed.

I still haven't looked at Finalescript at all.  It all seems kind of
arcane and confusing.  What are people using FinaleScript for?

I know it looks arcane, and that's partly because much of it is so simple
that one can't believe that's all there is to it! The documentation is a
bit non-friendly, but the scripting process is quite the opposite.

Interesting. Thanks!

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]