On Monday, Jul 5, 2004, at 14:43 America/Vancouver, Richard Yates wrote:

The temp files are being stored in the default directory for Finale temp files, which in MacFin2004 is "Macintosh HD/private/tmp/501/TemporaryItems". ....The "private" folder is a hidden folder, so I can't see the contents in the Finder.

Now that sounds like big trouble since Finale temp files can accumulate and can be large. (And what could those Mac folks have been thinking to make a folder that you can't look in?)

That's standard practice on MacOS and unix.

If you want to "see" normally invisible folders, use <Command-Shift-G> in the Finder. This method expects unix paths and consequently you can use: "/tmp/" as the starting directory because "/tmp" is a sanctioned unix alias (called a link) to "/private/tmp". If you want to see everything I have a tiny utility on my web site.

Alternately, in Terminal do:

cd /tmp
pwd
ls -la

and then burrow down via repeated:

cd 501
ls -la

to view a directory's contents.

What I find slightly odd about Darcy's location is that normally the temporary items folder is named: "Temporary Items" but his quote suggests no space in that name. ???

Check it out in Script Editor:

POSIX path of (path to temporary items folder)
--> "/private/tmp/501/Temporary Items/"

POSIX path of (path to ")
-->
"
/private/tmp/501/Cleanup At Startup/

My opinion WRT to best practice interfacing with unix disks is to use a single word with no space in it. Characters allowed are derived from the set: 0-9, A-Z, a-z, plus underscore and don't start that name with a number.

Philip Aker
http://www.aker.ca