Mark D Lew wrote:

On Jul 6, 2004, at 7:26 PM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Finale displaces the flat in the Gb to the left -- so that it appears to the left of the (left-displaced) E. However, there is more than enough room for the flat to fit under the E in its usual, non-displaced, position.

What do y'all do in this situation? Leave it as is, or drag the flat back to the right?

I drag it over, but I recognize this as a call on which reasonable engravers might differ.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks Finale does a lame job when placing flats (or naturals) on two notes a sixth apart?

No, you're not. I get bugged by that too.

I'm frequently adjusting accidentals in Finale. I've been doing it for so long now that it's routine and I think of it as normal. Still, it would be nice if Finale did a better job in the first place. I can understand that the algorithm isn't so obvious for chords with three or more accidentals, but surely it ought to be able to get it right for flats on a sixth, or for the displaced notehead situation like Darcy described.

I'm curious about others' habits with accidentals. Do you routinely tweak accidental placement or do you typically just go with the Finale default? Or does someone have a better method that I don't know about?

Constantly tweaking, here. Partially because I'm often dealing with quarter- and microtonal stuff. But I'm rarely happy with the default positioning, on a note-by-note basis, so maybe I'm just awkward and won't be happy with *any* defauly system, preferring to modify on the fly to whatever I prefer in each individual context.