On 07 Jul, 2004, at 09:40 AM, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:

Hmm, strictly, the standard as I learned (and Finale defaults to, apparently) is that accidentals are vertically stacked for the interval of a seventh or more, and for a sixth or less the lower accidental is offset to the left.

Actually, Finale doesn't default to that at all -- as you say later in the post, Finale displaces the accidental to the left regardless of the interval involved.

The whole thing about whether to displace on a sixth vs. fifth was an unwanted can of worms -- I know engravers may differ on that. I should have posted a larger interval in my original post -- what I was really wondering was whether displacing the accidental to the left when there is unambiguously "a lot of room" (i.e., a seventh or larger) was ever considered acceptable.

Also, thanks to Javier for the TGTools fix.  I'll try that now.

Cheers,

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]