At 1:17 PM -0400 7/12/04, John Howell wrote:
At 9:47 PM +0100 7/11/04, Owain Sutton wrote:
Yep, 2/10. Or 7/24. I'm not getting into the explanation of what they mean right now....but...

Basically, I want to substitute different numbers for the '8' or '16' displayed, while keeping the function of the signature the same. Is there a way to do this?

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but those signatures are meaningless. We do not have a "10th" note or a "24th" note in our notational system,

We sort of do. In a dectuplet (ten eighths in the space of 8 eighths) the logical way to call one of the tuplet notes is a "tenth note", it being slightly faster than an eighth note. If there was a passage where bar 1 was 4/4 filled with dectuplets, then the composer wanted two more OF THE SAME VALUE in the second measure, followed by a downbeat in the third measure, then I might be tempted to notate that second bar as 2/10 as being the clearest way to illustrate what I mean to sound. The equivelant 1/5 as a time signature, while perhaps more truthful, would not be as clear in the example I gave.

I don't often DO that, but I realize that some composers need those tools.

and the lower number is not simply a number. It is an identification of the note value indicated. There is no "four-four" time; it should be and is read as "four-quarter" time--four quarter notes per measure.

As you can clearly see, I'm not into complex or experimental

It's not really experimental any more. The experiments have been done, and the results are in, and some of the things that used to be unique or confusing are commonplace now. They are just part of the extended toolbox we have available.

20th century notation at all. There may be a meaning for what you want to do. I just would never understand that meaning without a clear explanation, and neither would any other average musician.

John