On Jul 12, 2004, at 2:37 PM, Owain Sutton wrote:

Wow. I expected some hostility to the question, I've come to expect it - but an outpouring of vitriol like that was unexpected.

If that seemed like and "outpouring of vitriol" to you, your lead a sheltered Internet existence indeed.

John expressed a conservative attitude toward notation, which as you noted is hardly uncommon. But I didn't sense any personal hostility. To me this was no more vitriolic than the guy who said you should never use an underline (or maybe you were offended by that as well?).

mdl