John Howell wrote:
At 9:47 PM +0100 7/11/04, Owain Sutton wrote:

Yep, 2/10. Or 7/24. I'm not getting into the explanation of what they mean right now....but...

Basically, I want to substitute different numbers for the '8' or '16' displayed, while keeping the function of the signature the same. Is there a way to do this?

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but those signatures are meaningless. We do not have a "10th" note or a "24th" note in our notational system, and the lower number is not simply a number. It is an identification of the note value indicated. There is no "four-four" time; it should be and is read as "four-quarter" time--four quarter notes per measure.

As you can clearly see, I'm not into complex or experimental 20th century notation at all. There may be a meaning for what you want to do. I just would never understand that meaning without a clear explanation, and neither would any other average musician.

John

Wow. I expected some hostility to the question, I've come to expect it - but an outpouring of vitriol like that was unexpected.

The whole history of Western music is full of changes, elaborations and adaptations of metrical structures. Why should we stop now? And why should composers content themselves with writing for 'average' musicians?

And by the way, these forms of time signatures were spelt out by Henry Cowell, in "New Musical Resources". In 1919.