Darcy James Argue wrote:

I don't actually recommend installing a second internal HD if you intend to use it primarily as a backup drive (to replace those infernal ZIP disks). Internal ATA drives are slightly cheaper than an external FireWire drive, but *much* less convenient for transferring files between computers -- and for backups, an internal HD is inherently less reliable than an external solution. Plus there's the hassle of actually installing the drive and choosing the right jumper settings, etc., whereas FireWire is plug and play.

I'm intrigued by your remark that internal hard drives are inherently less reliable than external drives -- I've had one internal hard drive failure in 19 years and many, many internal hard drives in 10 different computers in our family. I have one external hard drive failure in the same time, among the only external hard drive I ever owned.

What is it that makes you say that internal hard drives are inherently less reliable than external hard drives?

--
David H. Bailey