This is one of those curious Finale "features". While we were beta-testing 2004 I chanced on this and reported it as a bug, but it is actually meant to work that way. The three settings Top Note, Bottom Note and Vertical Click Position are designed so that in each of the three cases the expression will be entered at the height where the user clicks. At this point, there is no visible difference between the three settings. If, after clicking the expression in the score, the user presses the "clear" (or backspace) key, the expression will jump to either the top note, the bottom note or the top staff line. If you import an older Finale file into Finale 2004 or 2005, the expressions will have the setting "Top Note".

Logically (for me at least!) all three settings deserve to be called "Vertical Click Position", since that is where the expression does appear in the score. The three settings would then be called:

Vertical Click Position (relative to top note)
Vertical Click Position (relative to bottom note)
Vertical Click Position (relative to top staff line)

Another possibility would be to rename the setting that is at present called "Vertical Click Position" to "Top Staff Line", but this wouldn't make it clear that this setting (and the "Top Note" and "Bottom Note" settings) functions in a different way from the other expression positioning settings.

Maybe someone else has a good suggestion for concise names for the expression positioning settings that really give the user a clear idea as to how these settings function?

Michael Cook

WinFin2004b

When I create a note expression with vertical positioning set to top note or bottom note and then place that expression in the score with a metatool, the expression actually places itself vertically at the click position. I have to right-click and choose Remove Manual Adjustments to get the expression to actually position itself relative to top/bottom note as requested.

(The difference from defining vertical position as Vertical Click Position is that an expression attached to top/bottom note will move vertically if the note is moved.)

Can anyone confirm this? Is it fixed in 2005?

Thanks,
Aaron.