Hello Hiro,

I have a one measure blank template that I use for each new score/cue/composition that I do parts for.

I use the clip file feature to bring the score's form into the first part which will become my score/cue/composition template for that particular song. I can then add anything extra that I want to have appear in all the parts which aren't in the score (word cues or reduced size note cues for players that are resting a long time etc.)

I can then rather quickly, cut and paste each part from the score into the completed template. (Doing a save as of the template to create the new part) If you are very careful, with your score input, to make things you want in all the parts measure attached (Tempo markings etc.) and the things that are specific to the part (dynamics, legato, con sord. hairpins etc.) note attached everything comes in to the parts very well.

For each section, when I know that the layouts will be very similar, I will do a save as of the actual part I am working on to preserve the layout. For example, if I have just done Flute 1, I then save that part as Flute 2, clear out the notes etc (using the clear key) leaving the template blank with the layout preserved, change the instrument name at the top of the page, and then paste the 2nd flute from the score to the part. With very little adjustment, the part is done.

Because I don't have to redo the layout on every new part, I find this to be very fast.

Unfortunately, Finale doesn't really work like Mosaic....so you can't really change the score and have the parts reflect the changes without the problems you are experiencing with Special Part Extraction.

My suggestion to you would be to do Save as when you want to create a new arrangement of your composition of both your parts and scores with perhaps a new version number to distinguish them. Then you can just cut and paste the changes to your piece into the new score and parts. The clip file feature may be handy in this case too. This way, each time you change the score and parts for variety, you now have two versions of your composition to go back to if on any given night you want to play a different version of the arrangement. And/or if you want different versions for a recording versus a live performance.

Hope this is of come help.

I have been trying to search MailMan2 dB but I am getting too many hits
on this subject.  Please forgive me if this subject was covered before.

My long time gripe:
Finale offers 3 ways of creating parts, but none of which is convenient
as dead MOTU Mosaic was.  Finale encourages to create separate extracted
part files for best results, but it does not offer dynamic file link for
future editing.  My first question is that if there is a feature I am
missing here.

Basically I have been doing parts with Special Parts Extraction, but this
is also hardly convenient since you have to re-space every single part,
or compromised spacing with groups of parts, yet you can't save the
changes.  If you group similar parts then save separately, it also
prohibits future editing.  I do not wish to play same arrangement for
live shows, and that's why I bought computer based notation system back
in 1987.

How are you dealing with this?
Thanks in advance.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>

Karen Guthery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ichat: [EMAIL PROTECTED]