[EMAIL PROTECTED] / 05.1.5 / 02:52 AM wrote:

>(b5)  means lowered fifth as in half
>diminished to me (but I think of half diminished as Locrian)

Ha-ha,
That's another one.  I don't understand why -7(b5) is sometime called
half-diminish since there is not diminish function with that chord
structure.  As you said, it is definitely Locrian, except Super-Locrian
that Harbie Hancock made it famous of.  But to me, Super-Loc is just a
inversion of Lid b7, i.e., B-7(b5) with natural 9th is G7(#11)/B, because
that's what the scale the Chord dictates.

And there is another (b5).  A dominant with b5th suggests the chord
already includes altered 9th and b13th.  Again, I can't hear any tonal
scale that fits dominant that contains b5th but not altered 9th and b13.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>