Hi Chuck,

For what it's worth, here are the reports from the field:

http://www.macintouch.com/mwsf2005notebook.html

a. It does have a fan. An Apple staffer at the booth told me it produces 22 dB, but she wasn't sure if that's when idle, in normal use, or what. Since the only units I've seen are out on the floor, I couldn't tell how it sounds. It draws air in from vents on the bottom, along three sides of the device, and blows out through vents on the back, above the ports.

I expect -- at least, I hope -- that the 22 dB is fan noise at peak use.

Also, RE: memory:

1. Apple "does not recommend" that users upgrade the memory themselves - you're supposed to have a service provider do it if you want to add more after purchase - but doing it yourself does not void the warranty unless you damage something. A booth person told me the memory slot is easily accessible once you get the case open.

That's good news, although since the case is not openable without special tools (which I'm guessing would probably cost at least $20), I'm leaning towards taking it down to the Apple Store and having them install my third-party memory. I've spent worse $50.

3. You can add AirPort Extreme for $79 and/or Bluetooth for $50 if you're ordering the Mini from the Apple Store, but if you want to add wireless later, your only choice will be a kit that includes both AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth for about $129 ($112 to dealers). This stuff also is not user-installable, supposedly because it involves adding antennas as well as cards.

Good thing I got those built-to-order already.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]