Christopher's report:

I enabled a new address a few months ago, but didn't use it, or even configure it, for a couple of weeks. The first time I entered all my information into Mail and went to check that it was operational, I had two pieces of spam waiting for me, dated one week previously and two weeks previously (remember that I hadn't given this email address to ANYONE yet!) I was a little taken aback, to say the least!

leads me to the speculate a bit. When you set up an email account, your ID is placed in some table. Now if a person, not necessarily associated with your ISP knows the address of that table, and how to access it's contents, it would be trivial to read the table on a routine basis, and find out the new user names, and determine which are no longer in the table.

ns