At 07:53 PM 01/29/2005, David W. Fenton wrote:
>Eh? If the account existed and was on spammers' lists before you shut
>down the Everyone.net hosting, then it's just leftover and coming
>through just because the account is still active (or you have crazily
>set up a catch-all, which is useless in the age of spam, in my
>opinion). If you shut down the Everyone.net host entirely, the
>spammers would still be sending to those email addresses, they just
>wouldn't go anywhere.

My email address is the same as it was (now I'm reluctant to even mention it, but it's in the header of this email <g>). A month ago, I changed the MX records for sherber.com from Everyone.net to a different hosting service. DNS takes two or three days to propagate, but surely after 4 weeks there can't be any DNS records still pointing to Everyone.net.

The sherber.com *account* still exists at Everyone.net, since I just haven't gotten around to cancelling, and so I can still log in to webmail there -- and when I do there are a few new spam messages each day. Since any legitimately sent email would pick up the new MX record and wind up at my new host, I conclude that the only way spam winds up in the Everyone.net box is by hacking the Everyone.net SMTP server. But I'm willing to listen to other explanations.

Aaron.