Dennis Bathory-Kitsz / 05.1.29 / 09:33 PM wrote:

>Then you are at concerts for a different reason than I am. All I want is
>the music, not personalities of performers in the way. (And I did say that
>improv-based music is different -- the music is re-invented in the
>performance.)

When I said 'I was moved by trombone section blew into my face', I meant
the power of the emotion traveled in the air to me.  When I first
experienced Berliner Philharmoniker in London, my jaw dropped by the
beauty of single held note from the entire violin section.  It was
nothing like what I used to hear on CD.  I still don't get it how you can
expect to feel the organic instrument sound in the air from speakers.  I
can't.  This is also why I need acoustic piano when I write.

On the other hand, my studio does a lot of mixing those which type of
music are often performed live amplified, and that's a totally different
story, that I have no problem listening with speakers.

Last year I performed jazz improv for CIMP Record who capture the live
performance (not public show but controlled environment) unedited/
unmodified.  Irony, the end product made me feel I would had used
compressor, micking this and that solos, etc, instead of being that
organic :-)

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>