That's called "layoffs" and every industry (including engraving) has
undergone them when a new labor-saving technology reaches critical mass
and every business has to adopt it or die.

Just as musicians are needed to program those sequencers and play those
sounds for the samplers and other musicians are needed to tweak those
samples to make them more useful, not all musicians are put out of work
by the new technology.  Some adapt, others complain and die.

--
David H. Bailey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If this were just a labor issue I'd agree with you, but I very, very
strenuously disagree
with the unspoken underlying assumption that any sequencer or combination of
sequencers can, from an aesthetic standpoint,
adequately substitute for a human performance on an acoustic instrument. The
difference, to any trained ear, is obvious.

Several
years ago I went to see a Broadway revival of _On the Town_. When we took our
seats and found a synth playing the string parts, I felt like demanding my money
back, and the more I've thought about it since, the more I feel that I should
have.

The most disgusting thing, to me, is that this substitution was nowhere
mentioned
in any of the rave reviews this production received. Yes, yes, I know that they
probably had real string players there for the first few nights--but isn't it
part of
a critic's job to be aware of such bait-and-switch tactics, and to warn the
public
of them?

--Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press