At 04:54 PM 01/30/2005, Darcy James Argue wrote:
>It's no more "artificial" for workers to fight for their jobs than it
>is for corporations to try to eliminate jobs.  For crissakes, the
>entire free market system is an "artificial" human construct.
>
>Again, it doesn't matter if you're a musician, a lighting tech, a
>secretary, a nurse, or a worker at Wal-Mart.  You have an absolute
>right -- I would even say a responsibility -- to fight for what's best
>for you.  There's nothing "artificial" about it.

Darcy, I think there's a difference between your right to *fight* for a job and your right to *have* that job. I agree that workers have the right to fight for their jobs, and *should* do so, and that there's nothing artificial about that fight. If the iceman's union says, "We know that there is now this newfangled technology that lets you have an electric icebox in your house that doesn't actually use any ice, but we'd like to restrict the manufacture of those devices in order to preserve the jobs of our members," they are absolutely entitled to make that request (or demand). But actually *limiting* refrigerator manufacture would be, I think, an artificial way of staying technological progress.

I hope that makes my position clearer.

Aaron.