Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

David's thought that we might be in the twilight of our art form, made me think of the Fin du siècle phenomenon. Is the recent end of the 20th Century abnormal, compared to the previous, say, four centuries? Was there any sense of culmination and delineation in any of the art forms? Is there a sense of being on any sort of artistic springboard propelling us in a given direction for the coming century? I haven't really thought about it until just now, but off the top of my head, I don't think I discern the presence of said phenomenon.

Nah, we were all too busy worrying about the Y2K bug to be busy thinking of philosophical issues such as tying up an old century and looking forward to the new century.