On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:24:44 -0500, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure about not eliminating the consonant, though. Again,
> I'm sloshing around in bad old guy memory territory, but didn't Schoenberg
> alter one of the pitches in one appearance of a row in his Op. 25 Suite so
> a consonant major chord was not produced? I analyzed that thing in the late
> 1960s, and seem to recall that coming up in the discussion. But I surrender
> to the better-prepared theorists among us!

I wrote a paper for an undergraduate Music History course on the first
two movements of Schoenberg's Op. 25, and in at least those two
movements I don't remember seeing that happen. However, there was a
section at the end of the Praeludium that I totally failed to
recognize as any form of the wonderful "tritone-bookended" (my own
term) row that is used for this piece. I was able to notice that every
pitch-class was used an equal number of times throughout a certain
section, but I didn't grasp what exactly was going on. The Theory prof
was no help either... he had analyzed the piece himself, and he had
marked the same section as "undefined."

But in any case, Opus 25 was much more than "emancipation of the
dissonance" for Schoenberg. It was completely atonal, with the goal of
completely eradicating emphasis of any one pitch and avoiding
commonly-percieved structures that lend themselves to heirarchical
organizations of importance. "Emancipation of the dissonance" was, if
I remember correctly, the stage he went through in between his
neo-Romantic emulation of Strauss and Wagner and his serialist phase.

Since you brought up Schoenberg, I noticed an interesting thing the
other day when I picked up a "collected writings" book in the
bookstore (I think it was all letters he had written to various
people). As you may know, Joseph Hauer created his own form of
serialism, independent from Shoenberg and at roughly the same time.
Schoenberg's first letter in that book completely decried Hauer's
serialism, in fairly strong and direct language (I assume that the
English translation watered down the original German), as utter
rubbish. I never knew he had such a harsh dislike for competition!

--
Brad Beyenhof
[EMAIL PROTECTED]