At 12:29 PM 2/2/05 -0500, Andrew Stiller wrote:
Another crrosspost from Orchestra-L:
The pioneer figure was Arnold Schoenberg, with his theory of the
emancipation of dissonance

The theory, and the term, belong to Charles Seeger. The emancipation of a large chunk of the American population was still a living memory at the time he coined the expression, and the echo is deliberate.

You have a cite? I thought this went back to Schoenberg as well. Seeger did "dissonant counterpoint". But my memory is not to be trusted.

Dennis

Nor mine, apparently.

I thought I had this from David Nicholls, _American Experimental Music 1890-1940_, but I can't seem to find it there.

In any event, "emancipation of the dissonance" certainly does not imply elimination of the consonant. I recently had a conversation with a couple of young composers, one of whom had never heard the term. The other one helpfully said, "it means you don't have to resolve them." I don't think anyone could possibly define it better.

--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/