This has been a fascinating discussion for me, and I'm glad I started it here, but I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my actual practical question is far less interesting than any of this.

About five years ago, I put together a series of libretto booklets for Wagner's Ring operas, intended mostly as a means of providing an English translation for anglophone opera fans. After reviewing a variety of texts that were available to me, I settled upon one that I considered respectable, and that was that. My decision was based more on my estimation of the reliability of the source than on my own (limited) knowledge of German. A certain amount of rearranging was necessary for the format of the booklet, but the spellings I left alone.

It looks like I might be going back to the file to redo some technical things in the booklets, so I wondered if it was worth revisiting the question. I know that some sources I've seen use no ß ligature at all. Perhaps that was just due to limitations of the typographical process, I don't know.

It had been suggested to me that perhaps it was worth changing the spellings to make them more "correct" for current usage, but I'm now satisfied that to do so is perhaps a bad idea altogether and certainly not worth the extra effort it would require to do it right, so I intend to leave the spellings alone. If anyone here is sufficiently interested to look at the texts I used the first time, you can see them online at <http://home.earthlink.net/~markdlew/shw/Ring.htm>.