On 19 Feb 2005 at 6:49, dhbailey wrote:

> Mark D Lew wrote:
>
> > My girlfriend has a WindowsXP system with Internet Explorer, which
> > has been terribly buggy for about a month now.  The whole time I've
> > been telling her -- with playful exaggeration -- that Microsoft is
> > evil and IE is garbage and if she had any sense she'd throw the
> > whole thing out and get a real browser.  Tonight, only a few days
> > after a complete clean out of her hard drive and reinstallation of
> > everything, which was supposed to fix everything, her IE is crashing
> > again.  In despair, she has called my bluff.  "OK"", she says to me,
> > "I'll get rid of IE.  So what should I install instead?"
> >
> > I'm a lifelong Mac person, and I'm not all that computer-savvy
> > anyway, so I'm not very good with practical suggestions.  I know
> > this list has plenty of smart PC users who know how to make Windows
> > work without IE. . . .

Actually, you *can't* make Windows work without IE, as MS has
hardwired calls to IE in certain context into OS components. MS had
no technical need to do this -- they did it simply for the purposes
of gaining some credibility in the claims in the DOJ suit that IE was
irreversibly intertwined with the OS itself.

It was all a lie, and a purposeful effort on MS's part to mislead,
for little gain to the end user (and much exposure to vulnerability,
as IE is one of the most insecure components of Windows).

> > . . . Can someone perhaps tell me what I should suggest
> > to my girlfriend?  What browser do you recommend instead, and where
> > does she go to download and install it?  Are there any other simple
> > precautions that can be taken, besides declining to open random exe
> > files that get sent to her?  (That much I know, at least.)  She's
> > got a high-speed cable connection.
> >

> I've been using Netscape forever and have no problems with it.  You
> can get it at http://www.netscape.com.  I know a lot of people have
> their complaints about it, and many are using the new FireFox browser
> which is available from http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . . .

The rendering engine for Netscape is the same as the rendering engine
in FireFox (Mozilla's Gecko, though it's an older version than
FireFox; AOL is working on a new version of Netscape based on
FireFox).

> . . . and
> many others use Opera, available from http://www.opera.com
>
> You'll find devotees of any of these -- I've also got IE on my
> computer (WinXPpro) and use it occasionally and have never had a
> problem.

It's a good idea to simply avoid using IE except on the few sites
(like WindowsUpdate) that require IE. There are very few such sites
out there any longer. I can think of only one besides WindowsUpdate
itself, and that's MSNBC, where the only browser that will properly
play their media clips is IE (they browser detect and screw things
up, forcing an upgrade to Windows Media Player, which one should
avoid like the plague, since the recent versions have terribly
crippling DRM features, as well as being massively bloated in
comparison to older versions).

I also think it's a good idea to never let your web browser (not just
IE) connect directlly to the Internet, but to use a browser proxy
like WebWasher, which scrubs out ads and other nefarious and annoying
web content.

Of course, that only really protects you if you also have a firewall
that allows the browser proxy to connect to ports 80 and 443, but
prohibits your browsers from connecting to anything outside your
local machine. That means your browser can't do certain common
underhanded things behind your back (like connecting on nonstandard
ports via links buried in the HTML of a web page you've retrieved on
the standard port 80).

> Good luck.
>
> The biggest precaution she can take is to install an antivirus
> program.
>   I've been using McAfee for the past 4 years and have no problems
>   with
> it.  Check it out at www.mcafee.com  -- others use Norton Antivirus,
> available from http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

I don't use an anti-virus program myself, but recommend to my clients
that they do so, simply because they don't have my technical
experience and instincts.

There's a very good free AV program, AVG:

  http://www.grisoft.com/

I have it installed for the occasional instance where I suspect a
file and want to install it, as well as the once-in-a-blue-moon case
where my machine behaves funny in a way that conceivably could be due
to a virus.

> The other biggest precaution she should take is to install a software
> firewall in addition to the one built into WinXP.  Both McAfee and
> Norton have them for sale.  I use McAfee.

The easiest way to protect a PC that is connected full-time to the
Internet is to buy a cheap broadband router and place it between your
PC and your cable/DSL modem. It's pretty much plug-and-play (I've had
clients buy one on my recommendation and install it themselves). What
this accomplishes right away is to basic block all your PC's open
ports, since these routers use NAT (Network Address Translation),
which means your PC has an IP address that is not routable (i.e., not
reachable from the Internet; the router takes care of getting round
that limitation inside your network, i.e., on the PC side of the
router). This means that any exploit that bounces up against your
router has nowhere to go, since there's nothing listening on any of
the ports on the router. This is quite in contrast to *not* having
the router between your PC and the cable modem, where all your ports
are blazing open, waiting for connections from outside (though WinXP
SP2 apparently shuts down all but a handful of common ports).

I do recommend a software firewall, though, because a software
firewall can block nefarioius outbound connections. Exploits can get
past the NAT router because it blocks only connection attempts and
does not scan packets (though there are now firewall devices
available in the consumer-level price range that do stateful packet
sniffing, as well as content blocking; this means your AV protection
could be in your router instead of on your PC; but those devices are
more expensive and more complex to administer). Email is the most
common vector. Should you accidentally execute a trojan or worm in an
email message that your AV software knows nothing about, without a
firewall your computer would then be able to communicate with the
outside world, allowing someone else to take control of your computer
and use it for their own purposes behind your back.

Sound far-fetched?

It's not!

A large proportion of spam today comes precisely from home PCs that
have been taken over by Trojans, and are controlled by hackers who
sell the use of their network of trojaned PCs to spammers.

A software firewall would prevent this, because it authorizes
outgoing connections based on which software is requesting the
outgoing connection. These things can be a pain when first installed,
as you have to go through a whole lot of authorization steps for each
of your applications that *should* be allowed to connect through the
firewall. But once you've gotten through that, you can simply turn
off notification of non-authorized connection attempts and let your
firewall software stop all of them. Occasionally you might discover a
piece of software that doesn't work, but you can then configure the
firewall to allow it.

So, these components are what I deem necessary for safe computing on
an ordinary end user's Windows PC connected to the Internet full-
time:

1. a NAT router (to block incoming connections)

2. a software firewall on the PC (to control outgoing connections)

3. an anti-virus scanner, running full-time

4. complete avoidance of the use of IE for browsing the web (except
on the handfull of sites that still require it)

5. complete avoidance of any email client made by Microsoft (because
those clients all incorporate IE into both the message display and
the UI)