On 19 Feb 2005 at 7:02, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> At 01:31 AM 2/19/05 -0800, Mark D Lew wrote:
> >Can someone perhaps tell me what I should suggest to my girlfriend?
> >What browser do you recommend instead, and where does she go to
> >download and install it?
>
> Jari recommended Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/). So do I -- even
> though I was an Opera user for years. Firefox takes no time to get
> used to, except for the surprise of no invasive popups. :)  It does
> have some limited features (no option to auto-clear the cache on exit,
> no mouse gestures, poor implementation of print output, and weakness
> in reliably finding needed plugins), . . .

The full Mozilla version supports both cache auto-clear and mouse
gestures. It probably shares what you see as the poor print output in
FireFox, though I'd disagree -- I've had far more problems with IE
when printing (usually cutting off parts of the page, probably due to
the same box-model bug that I posted about yesterday) than I've ever
had with Gecko-based browsers. As to the plugins problem, once you
have the commonly-used ones installed, it's no longer an issue.

but it is stable and works with
> every website I regularly visit, including banking and auction sites.
>
> I admit it was hard to downshift from Opera to Firefox. I still think
> Opera has far and away the best features of any browser, . . .

Opera feels clunky and hard-to-use for me. I've tried it many times,
and I've just never warmed to it. I think it's huge default toolbar
set gets in my way psychologically, and I just think tabs are
superior to the multiple-document interface for a web browser.

But it *is* a good browser.

Keep in mind also that Apple, Opera and the Mozilla Foundation have
created a coalition to promote support of W3C standards in their
browsers. They are trying to work together as something of a
counterweight to the Microsoft monolith.

but it is has
> some problems. It's pretty geeky to configure easily, and its people
> just don't listen to ordinary users' needs. It's hard-line about
> rejecting websites that aren't written perfectly. It's ID is rejected
> by some websites. . . .

But isn't it extremely easy to switch user agent strings in order to
trick the web site into sending HTML it can render?