On Mar 1, 2005, at 12:39 PM, d. collins wrote:

If MakeMusic would consider giving us backwards compatibility (at least one version), no one would one have to run that kind of risk. But, after reading the interviews on Jari's site, I realize the chances of seeing this are more than slim. Too bad. Finale is one of the very rare programs to change its format every year and to offer no backwards compatibility. A real nuisance, in my opinion. This seems to be a marketing strategy to prompt users to upgrade. I'm convinced it backfires in many cases, especially for those working with people who used localized versions.

I'm convinced it has nothing to do with marketing, and everything to do with the format actually NEEDING to change as they add new features, plus a lack of programming funding since the user base is so small. Nothing Machiavellian going on here, I'm sure.

Christopher