David W. Fenton wrote:

Now, a translator layer would only have to take the memory version and write it back in the older file version. This means that certain features would be dropped, since they weren't supported by the old file format.

and giving this matter some further thought, it occured to me that the problem may, at least in some cases, not be as simple as merely dropping some features, but rather, it may have to drop a feature, and know how and where to add in a previous feature.

The dropping is trivial; the adding in is more problematic

Further, since they never promised backwards write compatibility anyway, I can understand why, as a business decision, the elected not to try to add it later.

ns