Apart from people starting work in the wrong version of Finale for customers
who neglect or refuse to upgrade, what are the reasons for wanting backwards
compatibility?

Surely if things were commissioned correctly in the first place there wouldn't
be the need to "save backwards".

Reading back that sounds quite provocative, it's not meant to be, I'm just
curious because in ten years professional work I've never needed such a feature.

We had Quark 4 ages before any of our clients, we'd never have started a job in
it unless we knew the client had upgraded. Isn't this analagous? There are
probably some other scenrarios thats I'm overlooking.
--
Simon Troup
Digital Music Art