I'm almost sorry to bring this erst-contentious subject back but far too perverse and morally weak to fight the urge:

There was in interesting piece in today's Times; interesting to me for two reasons: first -- that which was intended by the writer: trying to account for the $21 Million price tag.  But also of interest to me was the author's claim that this exhibit pumped an estimated $254 Million into NY's economy....

My prior defense here for the spending of millions of dollars on what seemed to be a personal artistic statement, beyond all the other aesthetic reasons which I place first, was that of the boost to the local economy.   That's the issue I use all the time when forced to defend private OR public spending on the arts -- and when I know I'm trying to sell the idea to people for whom only the bottom line matters.  Restaurants, travel, parking, hotels, blah blah blah.

But I must say I'm personally amazed at the estimate of a $254,000,000 return offered in this article; the author gives no attribution for the figure's source; does anyone have any idea how ballpark the figure might be?

Best,

Les

Les Marsden
Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa?  Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!

<<Mountain View Left Border.jpg>>

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Marsden;Les
FN:Les Marsden
ORG:Mariposa County Arts Council, Inc
TEL;HOME;VOICE:(209) 966-6988
TEL;HOME;FAX:(209) 966-6988
ADR;WORK:;;5009 Fifth Street;Mariposa;CA;95338
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:5009 Fifth Street=0D=0AMariposa, CA 95338
ADR;HOME:;;7145 Snyder Creek Road;Mariposa;CA;95338-9641
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:7145 Snyder Creek Road=0D=0AMariposa, CA 95338-9641
URL;HOME:http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html
URL;WORK:http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
REV:20050306T001651Z