On 10 Mar 2005 at 8:28, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> Linda Worsley makes my day. "Geeze the way things are going in the
> world I may have to gather wood to burn for cooking and heating, buy a
> horse to take me around, plant my own garden and keep a root cellar,
> etc." To which I can only answer, Uh-oh. I cook with wood, have three
> horses, plant my own garden, and keep a root cellar. On a more serious
> note, this anecdote: I purchased Finale ten year ago after returning
> from living in Europe, the first month of which was in Cologne. But I
> didn't get to see Cologne because I spent the whole month at Clarence
> Barlow's kitchen table inking parts to a long orchestral score. My
> wife said, "That's it! This is [EMAIL PROTECTED]& ridiculous! First thing we
> do
> when we get back is put all this ^#$*#^* on

I've been thinking about productivity the last week or so, as I make
parts for myself to play basso continuo in Couperin and Charpentier
Lessons of Tenebre (such glorious music!). I've been using 3 music
stands in rehearsals and playing from score, because I desparately
need to know what the voices are doing to function. For the Couperin,
I just got copies of my viol teacher's own bass parts, which have
excellent cues in them, but which lack figures. ARRGGHH!!! Figures
tell me so much about the harmony and how to play the line!

The Charpentier I'm still doing myself in Finale, but figured bass is
a real pain. I may just put in the notes alone and put in the figures
by hand.

I remember the days when I was involved with a one-week band camp
where I'd sit down at the piano with manuscript paper at 10am and
sketch out a continuity score, then fill in the harmonies, then cue
in the orchestration (bandstration?), then write the parts (in
pencil) direct from this short score (usually 3 or 4 systems), then
photocopy them to be passed out and read at a 1:30pm rehearsal in
preparation for a 7pm performance. I'm not sure if I can still do
that, but it's definitely faster than Finale would be. Are the
results as good looking? Certainly not. Are they as well proofread?
Not at all. Are they as re-usable? Absolutely not.

But they got the job done quite admirably -- they were certainly good
enough.

I have to keep remembering that as I agonize over my Charpentier bass
part.